Sunday, February 17, 2008

sick sick sick

I've been ignoring this blog, and ignoring most of my fitness-related blogs that I usually read, as I've been plodding along not working out and eating only so-so. But now at least I sort of have a good excuse, I am sick.

I missed my long run yesterday because of this gross cold/sinus/cough/gross thing, and then of course today I was even worse so it just ain't happening this weekend. But I went out today and bought: several kinds of tea, lentil soup mix, emergen-c, and a neti pot. I've been meaning to get a neti pot for ages, since I first heard from friends that it was the greatest thing ever. I have now tried it once and I'm not sure it's the greatest ever, but I didn't drown and my head does feel a bit less clogged. Though the water was super-salty, which I don't totally get. My skin feels a bit puffy now and I think it's the salt. But the gallons of tea and water that I'm mainlining should hopefully help out. I'm going to keep doing it until I leave for AZ on Wednesday and maybe even take that and my special sea salt along for the trip.

Wednesday thru Sunday I'll be in Arizona competing in an appellate advocacy competition that centers around Native American legal issues, which I'm super stoked for. I've been practicing for a month so I feel pretty ready to take on all these other law students from around the country. And I'm bringing all my running gear of course, and I vow to get in at least one, but ideally more like three delightful warm weather runs around the Arizona State campus and the little city of Tempe where I'm staying. And I'm also bringing the old swimsuit since our hotel has an outdoor (heated) pool. So, yay to convenient fitness stuff. I'm also bringing some of those high-protein clif bars and maybe some protein shake mix because I have no clue what the vegan options will be at the competition. Most of the time I'll be on my own and I think the southwest and especially this college town will be pretty veg-friendly, so I'm not too worried. I'm excited about good Mexican food, which is tough to come by around here.

So, things are slow going these days. I've been seeing better numbers on my weigh-ins, but still not great - I'm still around 15 lb heavier than my lowest last semester, which is disheartening. When I get back from AZ, I'm going back on the exact menu I was doing last semester and I'm not going to let dating or school or any of this bologna get me off track.

No comments: